Location of the Hellenic Mediterranean University, Department of Electronic Engineering
The headquarters of the Department of Electronic Engineering is located at 3 Romanou Street in Halepa. Halepa is one of the most beautiful, remarkable, and historical suburbs of Chania with special residential and tourist development.
Panorama of Halepa, Chania.
Partial view of the coastal part of Helepa.
Partial view of the district of Halepa (where on the upper left are the buildings of the Department of Electronic Engineering, next to the Holy Temple of Evangelistria with the characteristic blue dome).
The Holy Temple of Evangelistria in Chania (with the characteristic blue dome), surrounded by the buildings of the Department of Electronic Engineering and the Department of Natural Resources & Environment.
The buildings of approximately 8,500 sq.m. which house the Department of Electronic Engineering (together with the Department of Natural Resources & Environment Engineering) are located right next to the Holy Temple of Evangelistria Chania (founded 8/10/1908 in the presence of Alexandros Zaimis, inaugurated 12/8) 1923 and is the largest church in Chania), and very close to the Holy Temple of St. Magdalene (which is of Russian style with the characteristic dome and was built during the tenure of Prince George in Crete).
In Halepa were the headquarters of the current Commander-in-Chief of Crete, the mansions of the general consuls of the Great Powers, as well as the French School of Nuns of the San Josef Battalion. This suburb was later chosen by Commissioner George for his mansion, which residents call a palace, as well as Ethnarch Eleftherios Venizelos as his permanent residence in the summer house his father had built, which is now a museum. studies at a very short distance from the headquarters of the Department.
Also very close to the headquarters of the Department is the new Archaeological Museum of Chania.
At the northwestern end of Halepa beach, where the coast is smooth, there is now a small fishing shelter, while some tanneries that were developed in the past have now been deserted and are gradually being turned into entertainment venues.
Halepa and Eleftherios Venizelos
A city with historical neighborhoods and monuments of special artistic and aesthetic value, Chania zealously preserves its own cultural identity, the fruit of various influences and influences exercised by the peoples who lived and acted here over the centuries.
A special place in the history of Chania is, of course, the late Eleftherios Venizelos and the famous district of Halepa, where are, among others, the house-museum of the eminent politician, the mansion of Prince George, High Commissioner of the Cretan State, and the church.
Eleftherios Venizelos, a prominent politician with impressive personal radiance, was born in Mournies, Chania, in Turkish-occupied Crete, in 1864. In his youth, his family fled to Greece, as his father suffered the consequences of his revolutionary action. After graduating from the Law School of the University of Athens, Venizelos practiced law in Chania but was soon absorbed by politics.
His leadership and political skills emerged during the 1897 revolution. During the Cretan state (1898-1912) he contributed to the formation of the Cretan Constitution, clashed with High Commissioner George, led an armed revolution in Therissos (1905), and succeeded in replacing it. commissioner.
His role in the political affairs of the Cretan State ended in 1910 when he took over as the country’s prime minister and formed the Liberal Party. He was a pioneer in the political and economic recovery of Greece and the victorious outcome of the Balkan Wars (1912-1913).
During World War I, Venizelos broke with the crown. At the expense of the National Divide (1915-1917), he imposed his policy, that is, the entry of the country into the war on the side of the Allies.
Greece was rewarded for its contribution to the global war with the concession of the Smyrna authorities (1919). In the crucial elections of November 1920, Venizelos was defeated. He retired from politics and returned after the Asia Minor Catastrophe of 1922.
With the initiatives taken for the obligatory exchange of Greek and Turkish populations and the conclusion of the Treaty of Lausanne, Venizelos was the one who defined the borders between Greece and Turkey, changed the orientation of Greek policy, and laid the foundations of peaceful development.
The last four years of his rule (1928-1932) were a period of stability and creation. Top success, the Greek-Turkish Friendship Pact (1930).
The end of his career was marked by the assassination attempt on him (June 1933) and the failed March 1935 movement. Venizelos committed suicide in Paris, where he died on March 18, 1936.
Venizelos’ house in Halepa, his paternal home, was the roof of his life from 1880 to 1910 and, from time to time, from 1927 to 1935.
Eleftherios Venizelos lived in this house for almost half his life. There he lived young and married, where his two children were born and his wife died. He lived in this house when the Revolution of 1897 broke out, from there he started for Therissos in 1905 and returned there before going to Thessaloniki in 1916, for the National Defense Movement. However, even after the failure of the 1935 movement, he left this house.
In 1876, Eleftherios Venizelos’ father, Kyriakos, bought the plot on which the house is located, in the center of Halepa. Construction of the house began in 1877 and was completed in 1880.
When he became prime minister in 1910, Eleftherios Venizelos left for Athens. The house was rented mainly to relatives, foreign diplomats, and Cretan politicians.
In 1927, Eleftherios Venizelos returned to Chania and renovated the house in Halepa.
In 1941, during the Battle of Crete, the house was bombed, while during the Occupation it suffered severe damage and vandalism. After the liberation, restoration works of the house took place.
In 2002, the Venizelos House became the property of the Greek State, which later granted it to the “Eleftherios K. Venizelos” National Research and Studies Foundation.
Today, the Venizelos House is the seat of the National Foundation for Research and Studies “Eleftherios K. Venizelos”, and functions as a museum, a place of historical memory of Eleftherios Venizelos.
The interior of the house is decorated with furniture chosen by Venizelos himself and his wife, Elena, decorative objects and paintings of the time, as well as personal objects of the great political man.